CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 4, 2010

Munich, part one

After a few days in Munich, I have enjoyed the many varying dynamics of another culture. The city has great public transportation--we have been taking the ubahn and Sbahn everywhere. It's true what they say--beer is like water here, the drink of choice at dinner time. The best beer I've tried was the Paulimer, weisbeir at a pub in the Marienplatz, or main square.
New years eve was crazy-- in the city center the people were lighting off their own fireworks, downing bottles of alcohol, then smashing them on the cobblestone... And singing... Random white stripes songs.
Holidays and Sundays, the city shuts down. Sunday we found a starbucks that was open, and another coffee shop in the main square. Otherwise, even grocery stores are closed.
I really enjoy the pace here--maybe it's just because I'm on vacation here instead of living here, but everyone seems to take time at dinner, talking, eating, sipping... I see few people with their nose in a screen. Wifi is hard to come by! I enjoy the freedom from the information overload that is apart of American culture.
I'm waiting at the train stationto head to Füssen. We are going to see the castles today. Tomorrow we will head to Salzburg.
Jet lag finally died for me I think. After a remedy from Whole Foods, and an overload of caffiene in the mornings, I think my body is finally rewired to this time zone.
I continually see the beauty of God's provision and protection and authority. He is intimately at work across the globe... Jesus is Lord over Munich, Minneapolis, everywhere he is good and sovereign.

1 comments:

Kate said...

Sounds amazing. :-) Love you!