CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hip-Hop...minus sex, drugs, 'n thugs...?

I have somethin wired in me that needs a break from Coldplay, John Mayer, or Gavin DeGraw, Colbie Caillat... or Rascall Flatts. I have this love for Hip-Hop music; it ignites a passion in me. I dance to it. I sing with it. I enjoy it.

"Serve the Lord with gladness" (Psalm 100:2) and "Delight yourself in the Lord" (Psalm 37:4); and who prayed, "Satisfy us in the morning with Your lovingkindness, that we may . . . be glad all our days" (Psalm 90:14); and who promised that complete and lasting pleasure is found in God alone: "In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever" (Psalm 16:11).

God not only desires our joy in Him, he commands it. And that which he commands he works within us. Philippians 2:12,13, "Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure."

So is it right and good to delight in something that usually reps sin? Popular hip-hop like Akon, Usher, Young Jeezy... our culture loves their words because they represent where they seek their satisfaction: sex. drugs. and thugs. People relate to these desires because they share them--it's our nature. They rhyme about their rims and escalades and cribs that could probably pay to feed thousands of starving children.

So here's my predicament...how can I glorify God and yet still enjoy this music? The answer: listen to someone else. Someone rhyming about God's glory. Someone saturating their lyrics with Bible... someone centering their music on Jesus Christ. Something simple yet profound. But not music that is a poor excuse for it's genre. So here's what has come up on my radar...

Click on the link to hear their stuff on Myspace music...
Json.
Flame.
Trip Lee.
Lecrae.
116 Clique.

These guys do just what I was craving... Glorify God because their satisfaction is found in Him alone. This music ignites a passion in me for the Cross, and for truth--not money, sex, drugs, or thugs.

My pastor was talking about them at church. He said something like, "It's amazing how much theology and truth you can pack into this music...with the way rap works...its just amazing!"

It's true. It's relevant. and, it's just good music. Check it out...

1 comments:

W said...

Miss SGS - ever hear of Cross Movement [which includes Lecrae and others]? I like them a lot, and Grits is/are not bad either.