CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

William Cowper...

William Cowper (1731–1800) was a brilliant poet. He battled depression for most of his life. He tried to commit suicide 3 different times, and was put into an asylum. There, Dr. Nathaniel Cotton tended to William. Cotton knew and loved the God of the Bible, and the gospel--he spoke of grace to Cowper frequently.

Then Cowper read this, Romans 3:25: "Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God."

Here was his reaction: "Immediately I received the strength to believe it, and the full beams of the Sun of Righteousness shone upon me. I saw the sufficiency of the atonement He had made, my pardon sealed in His blood, and all the fullness and completeness of His justification. In a moment I believed, and received the gospel ... Whatever my friend Madan had said to me, long before, revived in all its clearness, with demonstration of the spirit and power. Unless the Almighty arm had been under me, I think I should have died with gratitude and joy. My eyes filled with tears, and my voice choked with transport; I could only look up to heaven in silent fear, overwhelmed with love and wonder".

Depression did not disappear from Cowper's life after his conversion. John Newton, author of "Amazing Grace" soon entered Cowper's life by God's plan. "I found those comforts in your [Newton] visit, which have formerly sweetened all our interviews, in part restored. I knew you; knew you for the same shepherd who was sent to lead me out of the wilderness into the pasture where the Chief Shepherd feed His flock, and felt my sentiments of affectionate friendship for you the same as ever. But one thing was still wanting, and that the crown of all. I shall find it in God's time, if it be not lost for ever".

Newton spent himself for the cause of the Gospel and ministering to those like Cowper (and William Wilberforce). Newton did not "despair of the despairing" --read more about Cowper's life and John Newton's influence on him at Desiring God.

Cowper displayed a brutal honesty. Cotton persisted in sharing the Gospel. Newton shared the burdens of desparing people--pointing them to the cross. God uses means to accomplish his purposes and his will. He works sovereignly over all things--to the praise of His glory. May we not despair in the despairing, but hold fast to the joy found in knowing Christ--and make every effort to help others "see and savour" Jesus.

"God Moves in a Mysterious Way"
by William Cowper

God moves in a mysterious way,
His wonders to perform;
He plants his footsteps in the sea,
And rides upon the storm.

Deep in unfathomable mines
Of never failing skill,
He treasures up his bright designs,
And works his sovereign will.

Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take,
The clouds ye so much dread
are big with mercy, and shall break
In blessings on your head.

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
But trust him for his grace;
Behind a frowning providence,
He hides a smiling face.

His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste,
But sweet will be the flower.

Blind unbelief is sure to err,
And scan his work in vain;
God is his own interpreter,
And he will make it plain.

0 comments: